The CAPS team created the Alabama Online Insurance Verification System (OIVS) to implement the Mandatory Liability Insurance (MLI) law that became effective on January 1, 2013. OIVS uses innovative cloud computing technologies to allow law enforcement and licensing officials to verify a driver’s automobile insurance status instantly. OIVS development was a joint effort of CAPS and the Alabama Department of Revenue (ADOR).
In conjunction with the development of the system, CAPS coordinated a state-wide public awareness campaign. At the campaign’s launch in September 2012, 22% of Alabamian drivers were uninsured, which was the sixth-worst in the nation. Currently, the campaign is in its second phase; Phase I ran from September 2012-October 2013, and Phase II will run February-December 2015.
The main goals of the campaign were to:
- raise awareness for drivers and insurance purchasers about the forthcoming changes to the Mandatory Liability Insurance laws
- introduce the development and deployment of the OIVS and the enforcement mechanisms that will be put in place as a result
- remind drivers to be prepared to show proof of insurance to law enforcement and licensing officials
- create an “insurance checklist” for drivers to use when obtaining or renewing registration
To this end, we coordinated and executed the following activities:
- custom logo and branding development
- poster and brochure design
- production and placement of ads: radio, broadcast & cable television, outdoor, and digital
- social media campaign
- website development: www.BeSureToInsureAL.com
We used easily recognizable graphics that mimicked traffic signage and commercials that depicted real-life situations to convey messages focused on the economic, social, and legal impact of the deployment of OIVS.
Creative Assets: Phase I
Television & Radio Commercials: Phase I